Sunday, September 30, 2007

You think the sky has been falling around here........


I sort of enjoyed the day yesterday being able to sit back and watch my friends go nuts during their respective games, while I had no emotional ties to either. Then again it was just good to sit back and relax, after an emergency trip to Memphis to retrieve my wife's vehicle that decided it needed a break, i had been on the road for way too long. Rushed back into town to do the Jack's Friday night Football show with the guys. I guess it was trip lag but the show had a weird feel to it, never really settled into a zone, just sort of plugged along. Maybe it was the edge of the storm that was about to rear down on football as we know it. I think South Florida must have made a deal with the devil.


There were some big games friday night that shouldn't have been. Briarwood needed multiple overtimes to win in a game where touted QB Trotter went down to injury. I can think of no fewer than four games that were decided on the final play of the game. And that was just in our coverage area. Let me give a quick call out to the guys that put on this show. Jim Dunaway, Ryan Brown, and Blake Ells put in extra hours on Fridays to bring high school football some much needed recognition. Remember these guys have already put in five hours, then come back for three more. There is only so long you can stand and talk football. I think they push the limits of that. But the callers make the difference. Enjoy the opportunity to work with them.


Saturday was filled with surprises, some worked themselves out, and some were just unbelievable. Someone stopped me early afternoon, and informed me Tulane was hanging close with LSU. Then I turned on the Satellite radio and listened as Georgia was tied with Ole Miss. Then the Zooker left his mark, Tech left theirs, and before it was said and done, I think five teams in the top ten had lost. When has that happened? Cal and Oregon was one of the better games that no one saw. Cal benefited the most from all that happened. Auburn showed they are not as bad as they once thought they were. I will be listening Monday for all the callers that called for Tubbervilles head on a platter to offer their apologies. I saw more emotion out of him last night than I have other coaches from the same state that have that Fulmer clap. Good, bad, or indifferent he stands on the sidelines, smiles and claps. Hey Coach, yeah you the four million dollar one, you just got embarrassed on national TV, quit clapping, get an offensive line. Wilson is going to break before too long. The heart is not there anymore. Not finishing plays, not giving effort. For the majority of the game, my Alabama buddy watching the game with me was having a tough time. The best thing he had to cheer for was the penalties. Was their only chance of stopping a very resilient offense. Yep the same people that wanted to laugh at my Vols and the Tigers for wanting to eat their own, will be tying a napkin around their neck. Talk radio will be fun again this week. I pulled up all of the blogs on the website as I do every day to see any updates, and I read Donya's rants about the Auburn situation from a couple of weeks ago. She layed it on them pretty thick. Go back and read it. It is pretty funny in retrospect. I bet we won't hear much from her about her loss. Bammers are big when they win, but quiet when they don't. Aubie looks pretty good, their losses are to two pretty good teams. Bammers wins don't look like they were against teams that were very good. And the losses were the same. Georgia does not have an identity yet. But FSU has one, and it is not a good one. All in all it is a funny feeling. Not playing and having any emotions left out on the field this day, when everyone else had so many.