Saturday, September 15, 2007

A program at the Crossroads.


If you are visiting my Blog it is because you have been here before, know I will step out and write what I think, or you hear me on the Dunaway and Brown radio show, and are here to see if I am jumping ship. Well here goes.


First off I will say up front, I am still proud to be a Tennessee VOL! That will never change, unless we pull a stunt like Rutgers students did last week, then, I will still be a VOL, but not so proudly. The 7inch by 7inch tattoo on my left arm assures me that I will always be Orange in nature. But it is no surprise, everything is not right with the world in Knoxville. As a matter of fact, there is very little right. First let me give out some helmet stickers. The few that did something right. Daniel Lincoln, the freshman kicker from Florida. Is so far perfect as a college placekicker. He is one of the only givens so far on this team. Second sticker, goes to Freshman phenom Eric Berry out of Georgia. He is a star. He got burned for 6 today, but he also took 6 back on a 96 yard int. return. Ummm that is about it. yup, that is all of the good.


Where is the Erik Ainge that won me over last year. Where is the Offensive Coordinator that brought us back to the spotlight. That took the talent in our QB's and made it shine. There was nothing about the Offense that shined, except for our flaws. Dropped passes. One on third down, that cost us 6 on the punt that ensued. Also the running game that I was so confident in, did not show up. There was no picking apart of the secondary. To steal a line from the Auburn post game show, "When are we gonna get to taste a little chocolate in our offense? Because it cannot get any more Vanilla." Three different times in the first quarter we were in the red zone, never once taking a shot to the end zone. One time trying to insult the defense with a bad reverse that lost eight yards. Thirty five yards rushing. The holder on extra points should have that many yards rushing. The defense has noone in the front lines that can put pressure on the quarterback. No Parys, no Mahalona. NOONE.

I think we need to have the cheerleaders on kick coverage. Maybe that will at least slow down the return enough that someone can touch him. COME ON!!!!


Bottom line.


We need a change. Not today. But I think this needs to be the swan song of this coaching staff. Not on account of the loss today, but this was the breaking point. The game has passed us by. We are trying to play old school football, and it not working. I never thought I would say this, But I think it should be the entire staff. We lost today, in my opinion, because of coaching. Play calling on offense was laughable. Defense looks like a screen door it has so many holes. There is no sense of urgency. No emotions. With the exception of Trooper Taylors chest bumps, there is no emotion. Our fearless leader stands on the sidelines smiles, and claps. And claps. And Claps. Keep grinning Phil. You know who is grinning right now? Randy Sanders. He wasn't the problem!!!! His work in Kentucky shows that.

Year after year we recruit well. Top five class year after year. But that does not translate to on the field success. If the talent is there, but the results are not, where does the blame lie? I think you know.......... I will hang up and listen.......