Sunday, July 29, 2007

My racing roots and feelings about Smoke


Well.....I have just heard MY BOY Tony Stewart drop an "S" bomb on national TV during the post race interview, and could not be more proud. Ok Ok lets go back a few years.


I grew up twenty minutes north of Talladega International Motor Speedway as it was known. When the teams would come in each year to race, if you went out to eat on Friday or Saturday night at Top O' the River in Anniston you were going to see many race teams or drivers in there. So racing was a popular thing where I grew up. I got to know Davey Allison when I was just out of high school, only to have my hero die a tragic death a year later. I lost interest in racing until a young sprint Driver came on the scene and charged to the top of the standings in a rainbow colored ride. But started losing interest in Nascar again when it started to become a political, good looks, corporate business. I started going to dirt track races at the Talladega Short Track. I fell in love with this down and dirty competition. I started helping and eventually Crew Chiefing on race cars on the Dirt Circuit. In 2004 I was approached by Talladega Short Track to become their Head Pit Official. I accepted it and began a career as a weekend race official. It was in 2004 I was introduced to someone that would reinstate my interest in the top racing league. I had to control the mobs of fans that paid $45 dollars a ticket in an effort to get close enough to get close to one man. Tony Stewart. One year before Stewart would be Boo'd for comments about the fans in Alabama. This year he received Rock Star status. Mobbed by fans as he was trying to drive a dirt car for friend and Chevy dealer Gary Kilpatrick. After he completed his match race I got the opportunity to spend the rest of the night hanging out with "Smoke" and getting to know the real Tony. Have since been able to spend time with him at the race track and on a personal basis. He is by far one of the coolest guys I have ever met. Down to earth, just one of the guys. But that is part of why people do not like him.

When he runs into bad luck or has a wreck, and someone sticks a microphone in his face he will tell you how he feels. He will tell you exactly what is on his mind. Like my daddy used to say, "Don't ask me a question if you don't wanna know the answer." He is a true racer. You can find him in a dirt Late Model or Sprint Car probably three or four nights a week in addition to his Nascar responsibilities. He is passionate, determined, and committed. He is an old school type driver. Which is why he catches a lot of grief from others. But you can draw a lot of comparisons, between Tony and Dale Earnhardt. Hard nosed, intimidating, move out of my way or I will move you out of the way. But in a fan base that still lifts "Big E" to a status of God, Stewart will be labeled as a crybaby, whiner, and troublemaker for some time. I applaud Mr. Stewart, for being true to himself, and true to his convictions, and passions that put him behind the wheel to begin with. In a day of corporate sponsors and ownership, he is still true to himself and his fans. Never sellout Smoke........Please.